[plug] Partition sizes on a new install

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Aug 2 12:29:02 WST 2000

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, SweenyTod wrote:

> /dev/hda1 / ext2 rw 0 0
>
> first is the device, second would be mount point?, third file system type,
> then read/write attributes, then I have no clue.

"man fstab" has the details.

> none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0622 0 0
>
> This one has got me.  A device of none?

Bingo. No device, mounted on /dev/pts, type devpts. Pseudo-terminals.
This must have been named before the term "virtual-" became fashionable.

> We have the source!  But that's not much use if you don't understand it, in
> which camp the overwhelming majority of users probably are.

That doesnt matter. You can still re-compile old source and be free of the
chains of binary compatibility. Or someone else can do it for you even.

> Long live helpful mailing lists I say.

I hope they live longer than helpful-usenet did, may it RIP.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--