[plug] Telstra's ADSL pricing is available

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Mon Aug 7 16:16:27 WST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leon Blackwell" <leon at lostrealm.com>
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Sent: Monday, 7 August 2000 15:55
Subject: Re: [plug] Telstra's ADSL pricing is available

> Well, after reading over the basics, I decided to go through the
> "Acceptable Use Policy"... and, ladies and gentlemen, my official
> word is "it sucks".
>
> ( Check it out at: http://www.telstra.com.au/adsl/docs/policy.pdf )
>
> For volume-based accounts, there aren't any real problems... but
> for unlimited accounts, you are not only not allowed to run servers
> (ftp, chat, etc -- expected, but annoying), but you are also *not*
> allowed to connect a local LAN to your ADSL modem.  You have to pay
> them extra to get additional users, and you can only have a maximum
> of three users for the unlimited plans.

Do they define 'LAN'?  What if I only attach a single computer to the ADSL
modem, but that single computer happens to have a masq'd LAN attached to
_it_?  They wouldn't even know.  I've set up a number of these in small
offices, as have others on this list.

> Let's just hope the other ISPs do a better job of this...

bakes
--
Steve Baker sbaker at mercatela.com  -- http://www.mercatela.com
Open your mind, then look at http://www.nexusmagazine.com

This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you
have received it in error do not use, disclose, copy or retain it.  Please
immediately notify us by return email and then delete the email.  Views
expressed in this communication may not be those of Mercatela Pte Ltd.