[plug] modules

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Aug 8 14:18:21 WST 2000

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Rob Dunne wrote:

> lycra >mount /mnt/cdrom2
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sr1 as a block device
>        (maybe `insmod driver'?)
> lycra >mount /mnt/cdrom
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
>        (maybe `insmod driver'?)

<snip>

> Do I need to recompile the kernel with module support -- or
> have I made a mess of the upgrading ??

If you installed the kernel that came with RedHat 6.0 it supports modules
already.  I'd guess that you need to set your scsi_hostadapter eg
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

in /etc/conf.modules on my system

Then run depmod -a
That will rebuild the modules dependencies

Then you should be able to mount /mnt/cdrom2 (assuming the symlinks survived
the upgrade).

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein