[plug] Kppp

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Aug 9 10:18:22 WST 2000

> Chris Norwood wrote:
> I have just installed RedHat 6.2 onto a duel boot Windows98 system.
> Yesterday I finally worked out how to set my modem up in KDE while
> logged as root.  It works fine.  However I am unable to get kppp to
> run as a normal user.

In theory, The Right Way of doing this is to set up the dialout within
LinuxConf (as root, be sure to allow user control of the device) and use
the usernet tool to dial/hangup.

> When I try to run Kppp I receive a dialog box
> asking for Root's password.  Entering the password does nothing.

Mmmm. I use Mandrake rather than RedHat, so there may be installational
difference there but when I enter a password into my kppp it then acts
as if it were root.

> I have disabled the lock in

> /etc/ppp/options
> #lock

Naughty! Locking has to do with avoiding multiple processes dealing with
the modem simultaneously, nothing to do with "securing" the modem.

> The other thing I have looked at is the kppp.allow file, which doesn't
> exist. Do I need to make this file manually and insert my username?

I guess so.

--
Other than that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?