[plug] distros (again)!

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Dec 6 14:21:55 WST 2000

Hey Hey,

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 02:08:18PM +0800, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Christian wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 01:54:26PM +0800, Sol Hanna wrote:
> > > 	If I have a complaint it is that many of the programs (Star Office 5.2
> > > and Netscape especially) seem to boot and sometimes run slower than I
> > > expected on my AMD Athlon 800.
> > It's probably more to do with the fact that those programs are both
> > incredibly slow and bloated and will run like that on most any machine.
> Aren't you glad they are now open-sourced and on the road to recovery?

Well, the memory foot print of Mozilla (and Netscape 6) is even worse than that
of Netscape 4.x. What happened with the idea of small is good? Sure Mozilla
uses the Gecko rendering engine that's so small it fits on a floppy. But why
then layer on another 38Mb (Netscape 6 is even bigger) of crap on top.

I'm eager to try galeon when M19 comes out.

The beauty of open source in this case comes from the fact that some of the
real achievements (such as Gecko) can be used in other projects. Projects
where the goal isn't to slow down a 1.5Ghz P4 to a crawl.

Later,

Jason Nicholls