[plug] Eftel & IceNet/Linux Shop & modem detection prob

sol sol at eftel.com.au
Wed Dec 20 10:57:43 WST 2000

1. The Linux Shop on Lord St in Perth has been open for seven weeks and yes
it is also IceNet. It looks as if they are diversifiying their business. I
was down their yesterday and the lady I spoke to told me that business has
been brisk. They don't have very much stock just yet, but it is worth a look
if you want stuff on CD (from memory they stock Red Hat, SuSE, Storm,
Debian, Mandrake and a selection of games if anyone is interested; they also
have Linux paraphinalia). Unfortunately no books, but I'm told that they're
on the way. It's a start I suppose. Icenet does offer unlimited access for
$24.95 p/m with no set up fees, but there is a max of 3 hour sessions. You
can't miss the place as it's painted blue with a big Tux on the wall.
four months ago when I bought my first computer - when I was definitely
green behind the ears (Hang on, I still am!). Since then I've come to have
mixed feelings about them. I signed on to the Warp 2 (Unlimited access $40
p/m). In their favour I would say that they mean unlimited. However they
only support M$ and Mac. I only found that out after I'd installed SuSE 7.0.
Fortunately there are two guys who work on the support team that are Linux
users and they were as helpful as they could be (one of them suggested that
I join this mailing list) without having any actual information on the
computers they were using at work. The other thing is that they seem to have
heaps of conditions for using the account. Even minor infringements could
see me be being unsubscribed, which would be tragic because I signed up for
12 months and have to pay no matter what. So to sum up - technically a very
sound ISP, but not so Linux friendly and a bit heavy handed with
regulations. (Eftel actually bought out Internet Express, and more recently
Qnet for those who are interested.)
    3.The reason I'm using Outlook is because I bought a new Mitsubishi 56K
V90 modem which YaST 2 won't detect. The SuSE support site told me to do the
following:
- If you do the modem configuration after booting, you can set the
environment 'hwprobe' before calling YaST2:  hwprobe=-modem yast2
- Or you create (after the installation) the file /var/lib/libhd/cmdline
this: hwprobe=-modem
I don't know what the first one means. With the second; the above file
already exists. I tried to amend it with the "hwprobe=-modem" but I must
have done something wrong because nothing changed. Can anyone help this
Linux baby grow up?

Thankyou   -   Sol