[plug] kernel 2.2.18

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Wed Dec 20 11:28:32 WST 2000

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> File README.Debian in the source tree refers to one patch and and list of
> minor modifications. I'm going round in circles with Debian's site... even
> their link to the page on the latest 2.2r2 still reads only 2.2's info.

With most packages Debian has the original source package, and a diff of
the changes they have made.  It appears they don't do so for kernel
source.

That is very disappointing.

I hadn't noticed before because I always get my kernel sources from
the official kernel.org mirrors (usually ftp.uwa.edu.au)

Anyway, I have just made a diff between kernel-source-2.2.17 (version
2.2.17pre6-1) and "vanilla" 2.2.17

Make sure the version you have really is pre6-1 because otherwise the diff
won't work.  Because of the pre6 patch, the diff is still kinda large
(~800k) but at least it's better than a dozen MB's.

http://live.wasp.net.au/debian-2.2.17.diff.txt.gz

The best way to apply this patch, is to rename kernel-source-2.2.17 to
linux (or make a symlink) and then use
"zcat debian-2.2.17.diff.txt.gz|patch -p0" (from /usr/src/)

Then put patch-2.2.18.gz in /usr/src/ and run
"sh linux/scripts/patch-kernel"

If you are running a different patch level of 2.2.17 let me know and I'll
see if I can find that and do a diff.

 - Matt