[plug] Samba config

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Dec 29 17:16:03 WST 2000

Yes it's bound to the DUN and I can ping the IP address (external e.g. 203.x.x.x) not the internal (e.g. 192.x.x.x).  I do also have a NIC card installed as this machine used to be in the main office.  The protocols loaded on this PC is NetBeui, IPX and IP.  I've unload all protocols except IP and it made no difference.  I can run SWAT from this PC and access the Samba configuration interface. so I don't see a problem in the L1-L2, it's has to be in L3-L4 that is causing me the problem.

<<< bernard at blackham.com.au 12/28  7:13p >>>
On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I seem to be having a problem that may be under my nose, but when I
> dial in to our Linux server with Samba running I'm not able to see the
> server nor the shares.  I checked my Win98 PC IP address and it
> reports the correct IP address the Linux server gives (192.168.2.2).
> However as I stated I'm not able to see the shares. I do have the IP
> address listed in the smb.conf file as a valid host address in the
> format of hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127. which hopefully is
> correct. Is there another setting that must be configured in order for
> the shares to be seen?

Is `Client for Microsoft Networks' bound to `TCP/IP -> Dialup
adapter'? (if there's more than one interface, eg modem&network card)

Can you ping the linux box from w98?

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham.com.au