[plug] Display properties and problems

Ari Finander ari at scientist.com
Fri Dec 29 23:30:26 WST 2000

I've been reading the plug mailing list for a while now, but have really just started to seriously try and master linux in the last month or so since I've been unable to walk (without crutches/wheelchair).  However, while exploring RH 7 I'm beginning to get a bit irked with display problems.  I have an old(ish) second hand 15" monitor which I think, judging by the flatness of it's screen, is SVGA *grin*  Now, when I set up RH 7 I specified the correct video card and the generic 600x800 SVGA monitor.  However, the display seems to be only 640x480.  Beyond this, I cannot get to the cancel/apply/etc buttons at the bottoms of windows in Gnome and KDE.  When I try and resize the window, the area with the buttons disappears.  Moving and maximising the windows does not help either.  So, not only can I not figure out how to change the display settings, I'm having a very hard time trying to play with other aspects of the GUI due to being unable to apply changes to settings because the buttons are not visible on my screen (they go off the bottom edge).  I'm sure that (eventually) I'll figure this out, but if anyone here can offer some help to speed things along, I'd REALLY appreciate it :-)

Ari
ari at scientist.com