[plug] Display properties and problems

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Dec 31 17:41:36 WST 2000

> 15" monitor which I think, judging by the flatness of it's screen, is
> SVGA *grin* Now, when I set up RH 7 I specified the correct video card
> and the generic 600x800 SVGA monitor.  However, the display seems to
> be only 640x480.  Beyond this, I cannot get to the cancel/apply/etc

Quick fix... edit /etc/X11/XF86Config under `Section "Screen"' for the
display driver you're using (there's probably several of them, or just
edit all of them) and remove all the modes except the one you want. For
some reason mine will always choose the lowest resolution. There should be
another way around this, but this way should work in the meantime (back
XF86Config first). As such:

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 32
   .
   .
   .
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   .
   .
   .
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Alternatively, You _should_ also be able to press <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<NumPad +>
or <Alt>+<Ctrl>+<NumPad -> to scroll through your video resolutions, but
I've never been able to get this to work. I just set mine to 1024x768 and
left it there.

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham