[plug] sblive and dmesg

Evan Lau evanlau at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 30 01:15:57 WST 2000

hi all,

how's the festive season? just wanted to first say merry christmas and
happy new year to everybody in the mailing list :)

well onto my questions....

until recently i was running redhat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16-22 (what's the
dash 22 by the way?) but decided to download 2.2.18 and compile it. i did
just that and everything works fine (even my winmodem! :O) except a few
niggling problems (would be good if things worked PERFECT).

when configuring the kernel for sound, i selected the sound blaster live
(emu10k1) module as (of course) i have an sblive. now in the 2.2.16-22
kernel when i open a mixer programme i get both bass/treble settings but
in the 2.2.18 i don't. any idea which modules i should select other than
just the emu10k1? i've tried the OSS along with the other sound blaster
series and even the yamaha opl3 and even the AWE32 low level driver but
this doesn't give me bass/treble settings.

another (related?) problem i just realised was that i can't play midi
files with my current 2.2.18 configuration. i didn't test it when i had
the other sound blaster, yamaha and low level modules installed so i don't
know if they would've helped. any ideas which to install?

the last problem would be the dmesg command. in the 2.2.16-22 kernel the
dmesg only stored start-up messages and messages shown when different
modules were loaded. now in the 2.2.18 kernel all those messages are
logged but i constantly get a message similar to "VFS: Disk change
detected on device ide1(22,0)" with the ide1(22,0) bit changing
sometimes. so it's annoying as it removes the useful info. how to disable
this? and what's causing it?

well that's about it. thanks in advanced to anyone who can help. cheers
and have a good new year's.

evan