[plug] sblive and dmesg

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Dec 31 18:11:53 WST 2000

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Evan Lau wrote:
> the last problem would be the dmesg command. in the 2.2.16-22 kernel the
> dmesg only stored start-up messages and messages shown when different
> modules were loaded. now in the 2.2.18 kernel all those messages are
> logged but i constantly get a message similar to "VFS: Disk change
> detected on device ide1(22,0)" with the ide1(22,0) bit changing
> sometimes. so it's annoying as it removes the useful info. how to disable
> this? and what's causing it?

I used to get this too when i moved to 2.2.18, disappeared soon
magically... ignorance is bliss :)

But when I went looking for solutions a lot of stuff pointed to a package
magicdev under RH systems (which made little sense in Debian). Most of the
recommended advice i found was along the lines of:

  rpm -e --force --nodeps magicdev

Also, the file /var/log/dmesg contains the output of dmesg just after the
system booted.

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham