[plug] fetchmail limit/warning flags

Beau Kuiper ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au
Sun Feb 6 10:07:10 WST 2000

On Sun, 06 Feb 2000, John Summerfield wrote:

> > I am using fetchmail as root, to collect the mail for all users on my
> > system. The cronjob entry is as follows:
>
> I recommend NOT running fetchmail from a crontab; it's possible to get
> more than one copy of fetchmail running at once.
>
> That's a bug; Eric is working on it; I've not heard of anyone producing it
> running it from cron, but then I've not heard of anyone else doing it at
> all and I've done it three times.

I run it from crontab.

> fetchmail has its own built-in feature to poll at intervals; better to use
> it IMV.

But it will stop running if it cannot resolove the domain name of the mail
server, thats why I run it using crontab. I think I might produce a script that
uses a lockfile to see if fetchmail is already running and fail if it is. I
will post it to the list when I feel up to writing it :-)

In my own little world
Beau Kuiper
ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au.