[plug] Fast net access via Linux server question

Paul Wilson hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 8 10:16:16 WST 2000

I've got a client who wants to connect their internal network to the
Internet via a Linux box. Attaching a modem, arranging for dialup, sorting
out Masquerade and so on is OK, but they've decided that they want 5-8 of
the available Win-9x machines to be able to surf at the same time with
acceptable response times.

It seems to me that they're going to need more than a 56k modem to achieve
this and I'd appreciate any advice or experience from those in plug who've
taken 'the next step'.

One suggestion that's been made is to buy 3 different internet accounts,
attach 3 modems to the Linux box and use them all simultaneously - viola !
150k or there abouts.  I can think of a couple of advantages of this
approach (mainly, you can use different ISPs and get resilience of a sort)
but I've never seriously considered it as a solution to needing more
bandwidth.  Anyone done this and feel able to comment?

Other options are ISDN, DDS and frame relay, none of which are cheap (either
to buy or to connect at the ISP end).  I've even been asked to price a
satellite link !

So, I'd appreciate any comments that plug members are able to make.

Thanks,

Paul Wilson