[plug] Fast net access via Linux server question

Tony Clark tony at ballist.net.au
Tue Feb 8 09:36:00 WST 2000

ISDN is easy to connect at the ISP end....It is more or less treated like a
standard modem.  ISDN(Onramp) is not all that expensive for what you are
trying to achieve.

Putting squid on the linux box will also help things.

tony

At 09:16 8/02/00 +0700, you wrote:
>I've got a client who wants to connect their internal network to the
>Internet via a Linux box. Attaching a modem, arranging for dialup, sorting
>out Masquerade and so on is OK, but they've decided that they want 5-8 of
>the available Win-9x machines to be able to surf at the same time with
>acceptable response times.
>
>It seems to me that they're going to need more than a 56k modem to achieve
>this and I'd appreciate any advice or experience from those in plug who've
>taken 'the next step'.
>
>One suggestion that's been made is to buy 3 different internet accounts,
>attach 3 modems to the Linux box and use them all simultaneously - viola !
>150k or there abouts.  I can think of a couple of advantages of this
>approach (mainly, you can use different ISPs and get resilience of a sort)
>but I've never seriously considered it as a solution to needing more
>bandwidth.  Anyone done this and feel able to comment?
>
>Other options are ISDN, DDS and frame relay, none of which are cheap (either
>to buy or to connect at the ISP end).  I've even been asked to price a
>satellite link !
>
>So, I'd appreciate any comments that plug members are able to make.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul Wilson

Tony Clark
HDL Electronics Pty Ltd
Contract VHDL, FPGA, ASIC and electronic design services
Mobiles: Australia 61 411 577 715  Hong Kong 852 9616 9716