[plug] Messages that I have posted

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Feb 8 18:54:44 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> I have today received two messages, that were addressed directly to me, and
> which appear to have possibly been intended for the mailing list.

> Due to a problem encountered a while ago with my emails, where replies to my
> emails were bouncing, iinet advised me to set my "Reply To" address to specify
> the name of their incoming mail server, as opposed to the name of their outgoing
> mail server, to which the email application (Netscape) had defaulted. This, I
> understand, resulted from a change to iinet's operation.

Two events not related. Your reply-to should specify a vaild email
address for you, if anyone.

> This solved the problem,

...but should not have, sounds like snake oil...

> Then, today, I received two replies, addressed directly to me, which, I believe,
> may have been intended for the mailing list.

This depends on the senders' mail clients. If the clients have "read the
RFC", that is, deal appropriately with all legal mail headers,
smartlist's system works perfectly. If the client is broken, naturally
the email won't work as it should. Have a look at the headers in the
wayward mail and see if there is any correlation.

I note that Matt has silently implemented the workaround anyway.

Have a good life, see you in an hour, enjoy the airconditioned train
ride.