[plug] Redhat 6.0 - killing X

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 11 14:39:39 WST 2000

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Peter Wright wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm hoping there are some Redhat 6.0 users out there that might be
> > able to help me with this -
> >
> > I've got a Redhat Linux 6.0 machine with a fairly standard install,
> > XFree86, Gnome, etc. I'd like to
> >
> > (a) kill X
> > (b) change the startup scripts so it doesn't try to start X on bootup.
> >
> > Simply trying to kill the X process doesn't work - they just get
> > helpfully restarted, which is driving me mad.
> >
> > Can anyone offer advice on the "correct" way to do this?
>
> Okay ... Use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a console.
> Login as root

<snip>

Without knowing why you want to stop it happening at bootup, what I do, is, at
the GUI (?) login screen, I just use the hotkey combination as above, and get a
command line, and login there.

Without being logged into the GUI startup, I assume that the overheads are
negligible.

That way, the GUI login is always available, should it be wanted.

--

Bret Busby