[plug] Redhat 6.0 - killing X

Christian christian at global.net.au
Fri Feb 11 15:17:14 WST 2000

Bret Busby wrote:
> Without knowing why you want to stop it happening at bootup, what I do, is, at
> the GUI (?) login screen, I just use the hotkey combination as above, and get a
> command line, and login there.
> Without being logged into the GUI startup, I assume that the overheads are
> negligible.

Well, they're not as big as if you were logged into X11 but they're
still pretty significant on a machine if you mainly just want console
access -- on a lot of machines it wouldn't be "negligible" at all.  On
server machines there's no way you want X11 running in the background,
chewing up resources and creating another potential entry point into the
machine.

> That way, the GUI login is always available, should it be wanted.

The GUI is still always available by typing 'startx' (assuming it is
installed).

Regards,

Christian.