[plug] Unix Beginners Textbook?

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Wed Feb 23 00:37:06 WST 2000

> Hi! I'm trying to find a good Textbook for the UNIX Beginner, with as many of
> the following as possible:
>   - Suitable for the UNIX Newbie (assuming DOS/Windows knowledge)
>   - Covering "UNIX" (ie; not a RedHat book -_^)
>   - Reference section of standard UNIX commands
>   - Inclusion of Internet-related stuff (pref. some HTML but not required)
>   - Not too expensive
>   - Available within Perth
>
> Yeah, I know it's a tall order. ^_^
> Any recommendations?
>
> This is for a course I'm running (yet again) on "Introduction to UNIX and the
> Internet" at Curtin Uni, and it'd be nice to actually tell them specific
> reference titles...

The problem with Linux books is that the tend to be out of date about when
they get to the bookshelf.

I'd go take a look at those with RHL or Mandrake or even Debian attached.
If it happens to include WP or SO, so much the better.

Oh, I'd also look to see that the distro has a 2.2 kernel (pref '10 or
later).

--
Cheers
John Summerfield