[plug] Hum causing modem dropout

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 24 15:58:30 WST 2000

Hi again,

   Thanks Beau, Navarre and Tony ... but I'm pretty sure my colleague
knows about the T200's habits ... and that's why he disconnects it,
before connecting the modem.
   Thanks Tony also for pointing out the incorrect addressing of
my email ... I've now amended my alias :).
   Arie's suggestions (below) look promising. Thanks Arie.

A> Have you checked the quality of the telephone wiring, as corrosion at
A> connections can introduce noise onto the line. So check all points and
A> joints.
A> Also try unplugging all the phones to eliminate current drawing
A> devices that
A> may exist in them eg abbreviated dialling memory.

My original message: (He = `my colleague')
>   He has 3 phone points with three phones plugged into them.
> One point usually has a T200 phone connected. When the T200 is
> connected at this point there is a noticeable hum on the line.
> However, when the T200 is swapped for other phones the hum
> disappears, and when the T200 is plugged into one of the other
> points there is no hum.
>   When the modem is needed it is plugged into the T200's usual
> point after disconnecting the T200. However soon after dialling
> up via the modem, the modem loses the carrier. We believe it's
> due to a hum building up on the line.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>