[plug] Remote VMWare...

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Feb 25 09:52:17 WST 2000

BTW: Subject obviously meant to be Remote, not Remove. ^_^;;

Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Trevor Phillips wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried VMWare-ing to a remote place? ie; via X to another place.
>
> Haven't tried it. should be possible, but X is DAMN SLOW over small links.

"small links"??

Well, last year I used to use a PC as an X-Term at Curtin to connect to my
Linux box at Murdoch; it was a bit sluggish, but quite useable. Was a pain when
the animated screensavers kicked in tho. -_^

Still, I doubt Windoze over X would be as efficient as native X apps... Hence
VNC I think would be more useable.

> > Or even more versatile, can VMWare run and use a VNC Server as the display?
> > (MMmmm. Thin-Client Multi-OS access...)
>
> I've remotely logged into a VMWare machine that has WinVNC running on it,

This was my other solution...

> but there's no reason why you can't run VMWare on XVNC on a headless
> machine.
>
> I think having a seperate copy of VNC on each Virtual Machine is perhaps a
> little more flexible though. :)

Hmmm, why is that? Wouldn't it be better (assuming it's Windows on the Virtual
box) to minimise instability? ^_^

: Web Systems Administrator      -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :