[plug]Linux and onboard aic7xxx chipset

de Vries, Arie Arie.deVries at corpmail.telstra.com.au
Fri Feb 25 12:11:17 WST 2000

Pluggers,
Trying to install Linux on a HP LM fileserver that has an onboard Adaptec
aic7770 EISA SCSI host adaptor.
It occupies slot 9 and is configured with IRQ=10, address C0000h.
Has 4 x 4G SEAGATE drives attached. This machine was used at work to run
NetWare 3.1, until it was decommissioned.

I have created a 10M DOS partition on the first drive to allow me to run the
IDE ATAPI CD ROM drive.
Entering autoboot.bat as per Mandrake 7 install instructions, results in the
install starting but not getting very far.

Messages returned by the install kernel are

		Ide0 at 0x1f0 - 0x1f7, 0x3f6 on IRQ14
		hda: ATAPI 2xCD-ROM
		floppy drives : fd0 is 1.44M
		FDC0 is a post 1991 -  82077
		Md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
		RAID5 : measuring checksumming speed
		SCSI: 0 hosts
		SCSI: detected total
		Partition check:
		Autodetecting RAID arrays
		Autorun ...
		... Autorun done
		VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
		Kernel panic : VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:01

The interesting point is that RedHat 6.0 installed on a small IDE drive
(disconnected during the above) also returns
		SCSI: 0 hosts
		SCSI: detected total

when it fires up. And if I try to install aic7xxx module using modprobe it
locks the machine.

There are no other cards installed in the EISA bus to remove any possibility
of IRQ conflicts.

	HELP!!!!!

Regards,
Arie de Vries.