[plug] This Mailing list

John Summerfield summer at OS2.ami.com.au
Thu Jan 27 15:00:10 WST 2000

> Leon Brooks wrote:
>
> > The decrease in lag is staggering; about 20 seconds vs
> > some-minutes-to-some-hours!
>
> I noticed that too.  It seems that the MTA now used by the mailing list
> server is Postfix rather than sendmail and I have a feeling that this
> may be responsible for the increase in speed.  It might be interesting
> if the performance of sendmail vs Postfix (and perhaps qmail too) could

Highly improbable; if sendmail were that bad, nobody at all would use it.
However, sendmail is, if not the most-used MTA, then close to it. Plug's
list is hardly a high-activity one.

Matt's remarks regarding differences between procmail and smartlist, if
accurate, constitute a much more satisfying explanation: mailing one by
one could indeed take quite a while.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield