[plug] Netscape 6

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Wed Jul 19 22:00:08 WST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Len Bird wrote:

> I downloaded Netscape 6 the other night, unzipped it, and ran the

It hasnt been released yet, has it? I guess you mean the preview release
1. If so, its not intended for real use yet, just as a demo.

> installation routine, apparently without much difficulty although there
> are no INSTALL or READMEs  files to follow.

There is nothing to do. Just unpack the tarball and run it.

> The graphics are notably
> different from the 4.7 version, and problem no 1 seems to be to get rid

Its the new gecko engine. Take a look at the project mozilla.org .

> of the installed 4.7 otherwise the command line brings this up every
> time.

Pardon? I had no problem with both installed. You wouldnt want to delete
4.7, as 6 is only a demo. ( OK, I just checked slashdot amd netscape.com -
no mention of a new release.)

> I am using RH6.2 which has an uncanny habit of retaining the files
> which one has laboriously deleted!

Whoa! That sounds serious. Whats happening?

>  However this done, I find that
> although I have configured the program (in much the same way as in
> earlier Netscapes, i.e. via Edit/Preferences, and these seem to be
> similar to the old version,  if I dial up my ISP the connection is not
> established.

You shouldnt need to set anything in Netscape to get it to work.
What do you mean "connection is not established" ?
The connect to the ISP is PPP - not related to netscape.

> Has anyone out there got Netscape 6 to work, and is so using Netscape6.
> Obviously something has been overlooked.

I tried it, buts its certainly not ready for regular use.
(Please tell me folks if there is a secret new release out!)

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--