[plug] Press Release

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Thu Jul 27 14:24:37 WST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, David Griffiths wrote:

> My vote is very strongly for a relaxed list where minor preceived
> transgressions or even the occasional larger transgression does not
> immediately invite flames and/or long debates  wasting bandwidth and
> peoples time.

The thing is, if we set up any rules, including what you just posted (ie
the rule is there are no rules against content, and therefore complaining
about commercial posts is against the rules) there are always going to be
people who disagree with the rules and start discussions to that effect.

I _really_ don't want a moderated list, and without one, we can bicker all
we want about what the rules of the list should be, but it's still not
going to improve the s/n ratio of the list, because there will be people
who don't follow the rules, or ask for them to be changed.

I wasn't going to comment on the original post for that very reason, but
considering I've let myself be drawn into the discussion now...

My personal reaction to the original post was that it was a little
excessive - pages and pages of self-serving propoganda (I liked Mike
Holland's initial response) - so I deleted it.

I felt (like Denis Brown) it would have been better if Richard had posted
a few lines to the list saying "I got awarded a contract blah blah" with a
URL to the Press Release, but realised others on this list might have
found it interesting (and on-topic)

Seriously, it's not that hard to press "delete" if you don't like to read
something. At least the Subject: warned it was a Press Release.

 - Matt