[plug] /newbie Routes/Port Blocking/IP Chains

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Fri Jun 2 11:48:44 WST 2000

List,

On our setup I have a Linux box as fileserver/internet/all other good
things and a NT box that runs exchange. In the past the NT box was in a
trust with another NT box in Brisbane. All was well.

Then I broke it :-( .... by accident of course!!

Now I can't seem to restablish the trust {Thats the NT bit ...}

It appears from the digging I have done that ports 137, 138, 139 are to
blame. But when I check with ipchains -L, 10.0.1.0/24 and 10.10.10.0/24
are allowed through. These represent our network and the Brisbane one.

My colleague in Brisbane "thinks" the traffic is coming through, how can
I monitor for traffic on these ports? I normally use tcpdump -a -i sl0
but I don't see anything when I try and do the NT bit, so I am not
really confident the stuff is leaving my network.

When I checked the route table all seemed well ...

I fear my lack of knowledge has maybe led me round in circles and I may
be looking in the wrong places.

Any pointers, pls?

----
Mike Earnshaw       | "It don't mean a thing if     | e-mail in header
Computer Systems    | you cain't get that Ping...." | Tel: +61 8 9256
1099
  Support           |    Duke Ellington, 1932       | Fax: +61 8 9256
1199
----
Union Switch & Signal, 24 Bannick Court, Canning Vale, WA 6155,
Australia