[plug] Installfest

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Jun 20 09:41:22 WST 2000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Matt Kemner wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Leon Brooks wrote:
> >> How are we going to pay for a venue? A non-free-as-in-beer installfest?
>
> > I propose a nominal entry fee which includes a copy of their distro of
> > choice on CD. (Although if they want potato, which is 3 CDs, it will need
> > to be at least $6 just to cover the CDs)

I think it maybe better to seterate the CD's and the entry fee.  it will make
tacking of the income easier.

ON a related note.

What distros do you think we should have there.
	debian
	mandrake
	RedHat
anyone got (and is prepared to be the resident expert in)
	slackware
	strom
	corel

I was thinking that we could setup an machine to be an NFS server for the
distros.  That way we need fewer CD's for the install.

How does that sound ???

> How fast are we able to turn over installations? This determines how
> nominal the fee must be to cover the venue. Refreshments would probably
> also be worthwhile, even if it bumped the costs up.

I was think of the door fee just covering venue and refreshment costs.

I'm trying to get us a free venue with Internet access  BUT the negotiations
are slow.  I'll keep everyone informed.

> --
> Linux will not get in the door by simply mentioning it... it must win
> by proving itself superior. We have no marketing department, our sales
> department is an FTP server in North Carolina and our programming
> department spans seven continents. Am I getting through? -- Signal11
> (/.)

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein