[plug] Samba / IPC$ Configuration Update

Raven ian.kent at pobox.com
Mon Jun 26 23:05:53 WST 2000

"Earnshaw, Mike" wrote:

> List,
>
> Thanks to all who assisted with the Samba problem and IPC$. In the end
> the issue appeared to be the settings for who authenticates the users.
> In smb.conf it says do not use "password server" unless you are using
> "server" as security. Yet in the text files it states to use "domain" in
> security.
>
> Someone pointed out that even though I have set domain in security I
> still need to have a password server identified.

> Maybe this is a bolt together answer, but it works!

This is not a bolt together solution, it is the way that Samba is designed
to work. When you set security to 'server' or 'domain' you request
authentication by a PDC or BDC. The difference is if security is domain then
an encrypted RPC channel is used for communication to the NT servers (like
other NT servers). This is reasonably new and some of the doco is a little
of sync. It is one of the things that has been added for the comming Samba
PDC features.

--
   ,-._|\    Ian Kent
  /      \   Perth, Western Australia