[plug] XWin client access?

Colin Rothnie colinr at tiwest.com.au
Tue Mar 7 15:52:37 WST 2000

Accessing Unix boxes from Windows:
For 90% of our access onto the Linux & Ultrix boxes we use normal old
"telnet".  The version that QVT distribute is good, and does all we want
(key mapping, fonts, 1000 line buffer, copy & paste).  I think the standard
Windows 98 still comes with telnet, but it doesn't have an icon/shortcut
installed by default.  I tend to start it from a DOS window if I have to use
it.

For graphical (X-based) applications we use Compaq's "eXcursion".  This used
to be a stand-alone X-terminal emulation package, but Compaq now bundle it
with Pathworks (ie crippled Samba).

I recently had reason to evaluate other X-Terminal emulation software and
tested Hummingbird eXceed and PCXware.  Both products looked good, although
I prefered eXceed to PCXware because it was less "clunky".  I would have
liked to have tested X-Vision as well, but I didn't find out about it until
too late.  A 30 day test version of PCXware is available on the net and
Hummingbird sent me a CD with a trial version of eXceed.

As things turned out, we have stuck with eXcursion and I find it a good
solid solution for X-terminal emulation.  I keep meaning to try it on a 486
with 8 or 16 Mb of RAM.  It would be interesting to see if StarOffice on the
Linux server is viable on a low-end Windows PC running X terminal emulation.

Hope this helps.
Colin Rothnie