[plug] Dial on Demand question

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Mar 15 10:44:55 WST 2000

>So far I have only been using the gui interface to pppd under KDE. This
>makes no mention of the 'demand' and 'defaultroute' options. I have also
>been looking under the bonnet to find these scripts and get into them.
>There  seems to be at least two areas that contain such files: /etc/ppp
>and /sysconfig/network-scripts.
>I have been looking at the doco and so far have not had much success.
>Any chance of a little more info on the scripts you are using, where the
>should be located and how/when to activate them?

I use linuxconf (in Networking, Client Tasks, PPP) for general config of
PPP (ppp0 in my case) then refine it in the scripts. Make sure Set default
route (in Customize under ppp0 config) is toggled on.

demand (which implies persist), nopersist, holdoff, idle etc can be
specified in the /etc/ppp/options file in RH6.1 (see man pppd for
explanations of the options). One options suite which works for me is:

lock
demand
idle 600
holdoff 600
nopersist

You've no doubt found chat-ppp in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

I choose to kick off /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp ifcfg-ppp0
from /etc/rc.d/rc.local to bring the interface up at boot time for a
dial-on-demand machine. (I also bring up IP masquerading at this time, but
that's another issue).

Hope this moves you one step closer.
Steve