[plug] Federalisation or assimilation of LUGS in Australia

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 15 14:03:24 WST 2000

Has any of the committee been observing the discussions on the mailing list
below, about federalising or assimilation of LUGS in Australia, and public
liability insurance?

I think it a bit presumptuous to apparently include PLUG in the matter, and
obtain quotes inclusive of PLUG members, without having first consulted PLUG,
and without having had the idea floated on the PLUG mailing list. I think that
would have been an obligatory courtesy, out of respect for PLUG.

Having been a chairman of an unrelated non-profit incorporated organisation,
with about 80-100 members, the issue of public liability (and any other
insurance) for the organisation, was found to be infeasible, and it was decided
that members would assume responsibility (and liability) for their own actions,
etc.

I would like to know what committee members (and other members), think, of what
is going on in this matter, and, whether they feel that there is a need for such
insurance.

My understanding of Linux, and all it entails, is that the whole thing relies on
trust and good faith; and that, if anything goes wrong, it is the problem of the
individual, with whatever advice and assistance others are willing to volunteer.

Thus, it appears, to me, that the issue of insurance is irrelevant.

--

Bret Busby