[plug] Federalisation or assimilation of LUGS in Australia

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Mar 15 14:51:10 WST 2000

> I think it a bit presumptuous to apparently include PLUG in the matter, and
> obtain quotes inclusive of PLUG members, without having first consulted PLUG,

Absolutely.

> with about 80-100 members, the issue of public liability (and any other
> insurance) for the organisation, was found to be infeasible, and it was decided
> that members would assume responsibility (and liability) for their own actions,
> etc.

I'm not a lawyer, however I would have thought that if a paid-up member of PLUG
acts on behalf of PLUG in an "official" capacity, and the wheels fall off, PLUG
as a body corporate could be held liable. Individuals acting on their own
behalf I expect assume responsibility (and any liability at law) for their own
actions. Any lawyer's (free) opinions (Jeremy perhaps)?

> I would like to know what committee members (and other members), think, of what
> is going on in this matter, and, whether they feel that there is a need for such
> insurance.

I wouldn't have thought it was a huge deal unless PLUG gets its own premises,
then some kind of insurance could become important.

> My understanding of Linux, and all it entails, is that the whole thing relies on
> trust and good faith; and that, if anything goes wrong, it is the problem of the
> individual, with whatever advice and assistance others are willing to volunteer.

Absolutely. Buyer beware. Unless the unlikely event occurs where an individual
does  NOT act towards another in good faith......

FWIW
Steve