[plug] OT: HD Data recovery

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Tue Mar 21 11:34:53 WST 2000

>Howdy,
>
>Sorry for being off topic. I was wondering if anyone knows of a company in
>Perth that recovers data from hard drives, or has a solution to my problem.
>
>I put my drive from my Win95 box at home into my NT 4 box at work, and
>foolishly run disk administrator and said yes when it asked to add a disk
>signature. Now I cannot read anything from any OS (Linux, Win95, NT, W2K),
>as the partition table seems to have been blown away by NT. :(
>
>Any ideas? (I am in the doghouse in a big way with the better half!...lost
>all of her data)
>
>Ta,
>Greg Raftery

A painful way to go if you're _really_ desperate and need access to some
_ascii_ data quickly (and have a spare system with linux on it) is to mount
the disk as a slave and do a cat (as root) on the raw device (eg /dev/hdb).

Can then filter it with strings, grep  etc. Works best if the drive is not
badly fragmented naturally.

Commiserations and good luck,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                               griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Systems Manager
  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection            Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                  Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia