[plug] OT: HD Data recovery

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 21 11:48:34 WST 2000

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 10:05:47PM +0800, Greg Raftery wrote:
> Sorry for being off topic. I was wondering if anyone knows of a company in
> Perth that recovers data from hard drives, or has a solution to my problem.
[...]

First, check out ;
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition-Rescue-mini-HOWTO.html

Otherwise, try running gpart - you can download it from sunsite
(/pub/Linux/system/filesystems), a local Debian mirror or ;
http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/

That will try to guess the partition table from the contents of the disc
(looks for filing systems that it recognises). It worked for me!

You can also try manually putting the partition table back using Linux
fdisk.

Do you have another machine you can plug the drive into, or do you want
to do it from a boot-floppy environment? (not that that should be hard,
at worst you could get a staticly compiled copy)

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal