[plug] Telnet for Windows sucks

Gavin Rogers grogers at greenwood.wa.edu.au
Tue May 2 17:14:57 WST 2000

> Leon Brooks wrote:
> >
> > "Shackleton, Kevin" wrote:
> > > Telnet for Windows does have a Terminal/Preferences/Background colour . .
> >
> > However, the VT-100 emulation sucks badly. Use PuTTY instead; it also
> > encourages installation of ssh.
> >
> > --
> > Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
> (And, when a cat eats a dog, you get a mastiff?) {:^{)
>

> Just out of interest, I have telnetted (?) using WinNT4, to a Murdoch
> Uni server, running SunOS, and to an iinet server, running an old
> version of RH Linux, and I have had no problem (apart from the backspace
> key not working, which is trivial), and I consistently get black text on
> a white background, which is okay for me.

Hmm, that's interesting.

When I telnet in to a linux box using the windows built-in client, I find
that none of the 8 bit extended characters (line/box drawing characters
etc) work, and vi corrupts the display unless I type export TERM=vt100
before loading up vi. But it works well enough if nothing else is
available.

I use QvtTerm on my windows boxes - works very well.

Gavin.