[plug] <NEWBIE> KDE

Earnshaw, Mike earnshawm at wa.switch.aust.com
Wed May 3 09:24:02 WST 2000

List,

I'm still fairly new to Linux and very new to KDE, but on that KDE high ...
last night I was playing around with the desktop and could not use the
floppy and cdrom icons on the desktop. So I added 'user' into 'fstab' and
now anyone can 'mount' them. This gives me one question and one problem:

Problem:
On my setup when I try and 'unmount' the cdrom it says there is no
'/dev/hdd' on my system (which is true) ... but I can't find where in any
'script' <?> where the 'unmount' option of the icon refers to hdd. Where is
this so I can change to the appropriate device?

Question:
Now I have 'user' in 'fstab' anyone can 'mount' the devices. Is there a way
to create a group kind of idea where only certain users can 'mount' without
having to go through some kind of 'su' or 'sudo' process. i.e. automatically
Linux knows who is logged on then decides whether they can 'mount' or not?
Is that clear?

Thanks,

Mike Earnshaw       | "It don't mean a thing if     | e-mail in header
Computer Systems    | you cain't get that Ping...." | Tel: +61 8 9256 1099
  Support           |    Duke Ellington, 1932       | Fax: +61 8 9256 1199