[plug] SMTP Help again

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Thu May 4 07:41:58 WST 2000

"Earnshaw, Mike" wrote:
> whoa ... weee .... pls excuse childish dance ... receiving mail worked -
> thank you list!!!

> I can't send however, I get the following message:

> "Sending failed
>  a SMTP error occured
>  Command : RCPT
>  Response: 550 Relaying is prohibited
>  Return Code: 550"

What this means is "don't use the Exchange server". You've got a
full-featured Linux box under your hands, and the odds are good that it
has an SMTP server installed and maybe even running. If it's a Mandrake
install, (as root) cd to /etc/postfix and edit the file virtual, adding
these lines (for each domain you wish to send/receive mail through):

    your.domain.xyz.au          yourmailboxname
    @your.domain.xyz.au         yourmailboxname

Edit main.cf (once) and make sure that the "virtual_maps" entry says:

    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

Now type these commands:

    postmap virtual
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix restart

The second line is only necessary if postfix is not running. You can
check that by typing...

    pidof master

...and if pidof prints a number, postfix's "master" module is running.
Set your mailer to use this machine and port 25 (SMTP) for sending.
Stick a "use by" sticker on the Exchange box.

--
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.