[plug] Wierd message

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue May 23 10:03:01 WST 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Paul Baumgarten wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've been getting an intermittant message on my gateway machine (RH6.0)
>
> On my console I get:
> svc: bad direction 65538, dropping request
>
> And then in my messages log I get:
> May xx xx:xx:xx gw kernel: svc: bad direction 65538, dropping request
>
> My kernel is stock standard 2.2.5-22 that came with RH6.0.  The messages
> started occuring about a week ago.  The "bad direction" is always 65538
> (which is 2 higher than the max for a 16bit integer - whether or not that
> has anything to do with it I don't know).
>
> Anyone got any ideas as to what the message is trying to tell me?

a quick grep of the kernel source shows the message is comming from
linux/net/sunrpc/svc.c

Which is NFS related.  So you should look at your NFS setup.

Also check /proc/net/rpc/nfs

on the rpc line the fields represent
count errors badflags badauth badclients

The field related to your error is "badflags"

I know this isn't real helpfulll but it gives you sone other places to look.

If you want you can modify the printk's in the kernel to give you more info.

Yours Tony

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */