[plug] /newbie - DNS problems?

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Wed May 24 12:29:54 WST 2000

"Earnshaw, Mike" wrote:

> > May 24 10:47:56 usswa named[415]: bad referral (net.au !< tyco.net.au)
[snip]
> > May 24 10:05:18 usswa named[415]: ns_forw: query(lemis.com) A
> > RR negative cache entry (I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET:)

FROM:
http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/bind-messages.htm

bad referral (state.il.us !<  SOS.STATE.IL.US)
CATEGORY: response-checks
SEVERITY: info
PAGE:
FURTHER INFO:

Indicates that while querying the SOS.STATE.IL.US name servers, your
name server was referred to the state.il.us name servers.Since a
referral should always point to name servers authoritative for
descendant zones, this is an error.The name server that sent the
referral is probably misconfigured, and not authoritative for the zone
delegated to it.

ns_resp: query(242.240.112.207.in-addr.arpa) A RR negative cache entry
(NS0.NAP.NET:)
CATEGORY: default
SEVERITY: info
PAGE:
FURTHER INFO:

Indicates that your name server tried to follow a referral to the name
server NS0.NAP.NET while resolving the domain name
242.240.112.207.in-addr.arpa, but found that it had already cached the
fact that NS0.NAP.NET didn't exist.

Your other query:

> > May 24 10:51:07 usswa PAM_pwdb[22000]: (ssh) session opened
> > for user marshallj by (uid=0)

Assuming that marshallj (and the address he/she is coming from) is okay
by you, this is no problem - it's just informing you about ssh logins
(and this is not DNS-related). However, if you didn't know you were
running sshd, then you'd best read up on it.

On DNS, I agree with the others that there's a lot to learn. As usual,
O'Reily has a good book on it:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns3/

...and this Web site is a good starting point for on-line materials:
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/

-Colin