[plug] OOPS!

Beau Kuiper kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au
Thu Nov 16 04:15:15 WST 2000

I suggest:

1) move to runlevel 1

2) remount your root directory as read-only

ie

mount / -o ro,remount

3) run fsck on the root directory partition. Allow it to fix everything.

4) remount your root directory back to read-write

mount / -o rw,remount

5) hopefully your missing files and directories will be sitting in

/lost+found

6) you need to identify each file/directory in lost+found, as they are given as
inode numbers, and move them back into your root directory. Make sure
permissions and ownership of the files if sane. Remember

chmod 700 /root
chmod 777 /tmp
chmod +t /tmp

Hopefully this will get you on the road to recovery. If this doesn't work, you
may need to get a resuce disk, boot from it and sort out your root directory
from the rescure disk.

I had a similar problem when I placed a very old hard drive with my new one.
The new one got corrupted, need to be sorted out.

Still crispy
Beau Kuiper
kuiperba at cs.curtin.edu.au