[plug] Sound card

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Fri Nov 17 10:39:23 WST 2000

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Kai wrote:

> options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0 mpu_io=0x330
>
> Is there any way I can check see what irq the card is using

The driver is using irq 5, dma 0

> cat /proc/interrupts
> says:
> 5:      62932          XT-PIC  soundblaster

That verifies that the driver is using irq5, and no other drivers are
currently using irq5.

> How can I be sure this is the correct IRQ for the soundcard?

If the card has jumpers, pull it out and have a look.

If the card is Plug n Pray, run: "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf"

then edit /etc/isapnp.conf and uncomment the section that matches irq=5
dma=0, or alternatively uncomment one of the other sections, with irq and
dma set to something else that you know is not currently being used by
anything else, and change conf.modules to suit.

Note that the isapnp.conf file can be really confusing at first.
What you need to realise is that it consists of multiple configuration
options, each in it's own subsection, and you need to uncomment the
commands for one section only.

eg in mine I have uncommented the lines that say
(INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 3))
(IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220)
(IO 1 (SIZE 2) (BASE 0x0330)
(IO 2 (SIZE 4 (BASE 0x0388)

Then the file goes back to defining INT, DMA and IO all over again, which
means I have reached the second section, so I don't uncomment any of that.
The only other line you need to uncomment is the one that reads:
# (ACT Y)

Then run isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf to make the changes take effect
What this does, is tell the card to reconfigure itself to the IRQ you ahve
specified, so you can match it with the driver.

Your distro should run that command automatically upon boot.

 - Matt