[plug] PPP Connection having problems

Marshall, Joshua marshallj at switch.aust.com
Wed Nov 22 11:58:02 WST 2000

I've got Mandrake 7.1 on my workstation and am running an old version of

Redhat (5.2) on my server. I have a null-modem cable between the two and

am running PPP across them at 115200.

The workstation also has Windows 98 on it (gross, I know :) and PPP
comms across the same link is working properly.

The problem I'm seeing with the Linux OS on the Workstation is the PPP
link "flatlines" whenever I try to put a large amount of packets through

it. It seems to work great on the lower-bandwidth things such as telnets

and ssh but larger packets have difficulties.

I tried sending various sized "ping" packets to the server, and found
that if I made the packet more than 5000 bytes long (1 second intervals)

then most of the packets are lost. Less than 5000 bytes works flawlessly

as long as you want to wait around.

I was seeing this problem when I had RedHat 6.2 on the Workstation
machine and I had hoped by upgrading to Mandrake 7.1 that this activity
would've stopped.

Has anyone got any ideas to what might be going on? I'm using the
standard modem ppp connection methods as the server "pretends" to be a
modem (to keep Windoze happy).

Josh.