[plug] PPP Connection having problems

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Wed Nov 22 13:19:52 WST 2000

"Marshall, Joshua" wrote:
> I tried sending various sized "ping" packets to the server, and found
> that if I made the packet more than 5000 bytes long (1 second intervals)
> then most of the packets are lost. Less than 5000 bytes works flawlessly
> as long as you want to wait around.

> Has anyone got any ideas to what might be going on?

Looks over-runnish. One hint is that Windows doesn't do it... Windows sends
things s-l-o-w-l-y.

Make sure that the RTS/CTS (pins 4&5 on 25-pin RS-232) are wired through (ie
RTS-end-1 to CTS-end-2 and vice versa) and that pppd's ``crtscts'' option is
enabled.

Use the pppd option ``asyncmap 0'' if you're a speed hog. With PCI serial cards
at each end and either the new serial driver or a 2.4 kernel, you can expect
around 300Kb/s, which is approaching Ethernet speeds. Running pppd in
synchronous mode yields about another 20%.

Wiring DTR-end-1 to CD-end-2 and vice versa is also good for causing a mutual
``hangup'' signal if the cable is unplugged.

--
Five years ago I was on a flight from Vegas to Dallas.  The pilot
said, "Those of you on the right side of the plane can look down