[plug] Editor choices: the keys to the matter

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Sun Oct 1 12:06:22 WST 2000

Leon Brooks wrote:
> And just try finding the Escape key, I dare you...

xmodmap is what you're after. I remap the left-hand "Windows" key on my
notebook to Esc and an unintelligibly-marked key between Alt and Ctrl on
the right-hand side to Delete. vim becomes about 1000% more pleasurable
to use like that. So does much else.

I also re-map the right-hand Shift key to Enter (leaving the Enter key
as Enter as well) to give myself more space to flail wildly for line
ends; but that's perhaps just my own eccentric preference.

Colin