[plug] Redhat and Mylex Acc170 install

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Oct 5 13:24:51 WST 2000

At 12:49 PM 10/5/00 +0800, Michael De Santis wrote:
>   Redhat and Mylex Acc170 raid
>  install problem   to install Red Hat 7 on that has
>  I do a "Expert Install" from the Red Hat
>install disk so that I can specify the "DAC960" driver as part of the
>   falls over and does not add the device .
>  Acc170 is a relatively new card I suspect that the
>  does not support this model.   http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/DAC960.html
> website for
>more info, it states that a driver is available and can be added to the
>  However since I have not yet installed linux on this machine I
>cannot recompile the kernel with this new driver   with this
>   can get carry on with the
>installation.?

I would think that you could put the driver on a DOS formatted floppy, then,
early in the install, use ALT F2 to get to the shell prompt, mount the floppy:

   mkdir /tmp/floppy
   mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /tmp/floppy

(if you have problems with vfat, try msdos)

and then insmod the driver ...

   insmod /tmp/floppy/driver-name

You may have to try a few things to get the driver to load, depending on
whether or not the install kernel is build with MOD_VERSIONS.

Then you would back up to the point where it searches for devices ...

Let us know how you manage ...

>Or is there a better method to get out of this chicken
>and egg scenario. Cheers
>Michael
>

>http://www.harvestroad.com

Regards