[plug] A couple of questions...

David Griffiths griffith at environ.wa.gov.au
Thu Oct 5 14:53:12 WST 2000

>Just a couple of (hopefully) quickies:
>
>1.  I have just installed a new system via ftp from my existing
>machine.  The install found my Etherlink III card with no worries and
>the FTP install all went according to plan.  When I reboot, the
>network card doesn't get set up, so I can't see any other machines on
>the network.  Any ideas, anyone?

John, there's a number of places to look for network problems, but you
could start with checking that the net card module is being loaded by
typing lsmod. If it's not listed check that you have an entry in your
/etc/conf.modules like:
   alias eth0 3C595
(or whatever the correct module name is - I can't remember).

to check that the module is loading correctly try loading it by hand with
modprobe <mod_name> then ifconfig eth0 to check that the system is seeing
it.

>2.  (On the other Linux box...) I use this box to fetch my mail from
>my ISP (via fetchmail).  When I (from my Winblows box) try to pop my
>mail from the Linux box, nothing seems to happen.  Looking in the
>logs reveals that inetd is trying to call ipop3d (well, duh...),
>which isn't there.  What gives?  I thought installing inetd installed
>all these helper apps??  If not, can anyone tell me which rpm I might
>find it in?

on red hat it's in the imap rpm (real obvious hey!)

hope this helps,

Dave.

  David Griffiths                             griffith at environ.wa.gov.au

  Air Quality Management Branch
  Department of Environmental Protection          Phone:   61 8 9222 7151

  Westralia Square                                Fax  :   61 8 9321 5184
  141 St Georges Tce
  Perth 6000
  Western Australia