[plug] ext2, reiserfs, promptless recovery

Colin Muller colin at durbanet.co.za
Fri Oct 6 10:57:14 WST 2000

Beyond UPS etc, I'd like a remote server to attempt to recover
automatically (if at all possible) after a catastrophic power
failure/vacuum cleaner operator etc.

The partitions are all ext2 at the moment, and if fsck returns with 2 or
higher, /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (it's a RH 6.0 system) drops it to a root
login prompt for manual fsck.

What I *think* I'd like instead is for it to drop to e2fsck run with -y,
i.e. try to repair without prompting as a last resort.

So...
1) Is this the stupidest idea you've ever heard (as you can probably
tell, disks are one of my many black-hole areas)?
2) If it's not that stupid, what's the best way? Hack rc.sysinit? Or is
there some place I don't know about that will hold settings?
3) If I mix ext2 and reiserfs partitions, is there a way of getting the
reiserfs ones to do a promptless check as well? I haven't yet used
reiserfs.
4) If I change all partitions to reiserfs, will this whole problem just
magically disappear?
5) Something else?

Colin