[plug] LaTeX -> Word converter?

BillK billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 16 06:44:38 WST 2000

I'd have to agree that staroffice may your best bet.  Earlier versions
did have occaisional problems with sharing complex documents and also
stuffed up the formatting on graphic objects.  Latest version is much
better, with near perfect formatting on the few documents I have done
with this version.  As for stability, two years ago imported an 800+
page java reference work (mixed grahics/pictures/footers, headers, fonts
- oh and lotsa text) written in word95 on my old 486dx100 - took 13
hours to open and index the document and then to save in StarOffice
format! - which then took only 30 mins to open once converted!  Word was
actually much faster, but would soon crash, whereas StarOffice would
keep going(sometimes being open and used as a reference for days).  On
my 400Mhz machine, time is much less of a problem of course (bout 10
mins for the same task a month or so ago!)!

Murdoch Uni requires HTML as the format for some courses - and its a
nightmare with some using frontpage, many exporting from word etc (& me
from staroffice/text editor) - basicly what you see is almost guaranteed
to be not what the next person see's, especially if you are viewing MS
output in something non-ms (netscape/staroffice etc) - forget HTML as a
standard for compatibility.  I initially though, hey this is great,
geting away from propriety formats - then reality hit.

BillK