[plug] LaTeX -> Word converter?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Mon Oct 16 10:55:09 WST 2000

BillK wrote:
> Murdoch Uni requires HTML as the format for some courses - and its a
> nightmare with some using frontpage, many exporting from word etc (& me
> from staroffice/text editor) - basicly what you see is almost guaranteed
> to be not what the next person see's, especially if you are viewing MS
> output in something non-ms (netscape/staroffice etc) - forget HTML as a
> standard for compatibility.  I initially though, hey this is great,
> geting away from propriety formats - then reality hit.

Actually, HTML is near perfect for structured documents (albeit a little short
on some areas like footnotes). What you see at Murdoch is people using HTML as a
layout language, ay which it fares extremely poorly.

the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers,
and nobody thinks of complaining."
    -- Jeff Raskin, interviewed in Doctor Dobb's Journal