[plug] LaTeX -> Word converter?

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 16 11:43:33 WST 2000

BillK wrote:

<snip>

> Murdoch Uni requires HTML as the format for some courses - and its a
> nightmare with some using frontpage, many exporting from word etc (& me
> from staroffice/text editor) - basicly what you see is almost guaranteed
> to be not what the next person see's, especially if you are viewing MS
> output in something non-ms (netscape/staroffice etc) - forget HTML as a
> standard for compatibility.  I initially though, hey this is great,
> geting away from propriety formats - then reality hit.

Ah, yes, but, you see, the clue is in the "propriety formats". If you
use frontpage, then accessibility goes out the back door.

I thought that a Linux buff, like you, would do the HTML editing in vi.
If not, Allaire Homesite can easily ensure platform independence. I
haven't looked at Coffee Cup (which is available for Linux), or the IBM
HTML editor, but, as long as an MS-proprietary HTML editor is not used,
and the HTML is wriiten in compliance with the 3.2 standard, surely, it
should be universally compatible (for HTML 3.2 compliant GUI browsers),
and, for straight text documents, should be able to be read by lynx
(shouldn't it?).

--

Bret Busby

"So once you do know what the question actually is, you'll know what the
answer means."
 - Deep Thought, Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988